Ruby Developer DescriptionJob #: 45853
In simple terms, we're looking for an expert Ruby Developer to join our growing team based in Paddington : someone with a commercial background in crafting and developing applications.
Do you enjoy working in a flexible, agile environment, with core values of transparency and continuous improvement with the desire to contribute, learn and grow, working on a platform that will improve people's lives 80 years from now? Pensions are a long-term project!
Smart Pension was founded by experienced finance & technology professionals and has been designed specifically to support UK businesses faced with the challenges of auto enrolment. Our mission is to transform pensions, savings and financial well-being, across all generations, around the world.
How we work
We focus on developing the best application for our customers and don't cut costs – quality is essential to everything we do, working software that always works! Alongside our phenomenal team we use many contemporary tools such as AWS, GitHub, Circle CI, New Relic, to name a few. Our approach to code is simple: keep it clean and ensure it has good test coverage. We don't ship code just to hit a deadline. At Smart Pension you will work collaboratively with experienced developers who will review your code and you will review their code; everyone is treated equal with a PR. This approach has helped us maintain at least 96% test coverage of our application, meaning we can focus on features rather than bug fixing.
- Develop new user facing features
- Engineering a better code base with your team
- Work within a smaller 8-10 person agile engineering team, part of a wider Engineering organization
- Work on tickets assigned to you, this includes: writing code and specs (tests) and checking that new code passes other test coverage
- Review Pull Requests from other developers
- Work in a collaborative, agile team environment
- Be awesome at what you do best – code!
- Occasionally pair with other Engineers - we have pairing machines
- Significant commercial experience with Ruby, working in a Ruby on Rails environment
- Deep understanding of object-orientated programming
- Desire to work with Domain Driven Design
- Will to work using Test Driven Development
- Understanding of relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Understanding of web design patterns
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential
- Most importantly, a desire to learn, grow, work with an amazing team, and deliver software
- Innovative solutions delivery to the world’s digital changes
- Experience exchange with colleagues all around the world
- Opportunities for self-realization
- Unlimited access to LinkedIn learning solutions
- Friendly team and enjoyable working environment
- Engineering, corporate and social events
- Social package: professional & soft skills trainings, medical & family care programs, sports
- Free English classes
- Flexible working schedule